<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, September 30, 2005

Special note....this is a work in progress. But I wanted ot post it now, while there was a chance for some people to read it, instead of later. The last section will be updated as the day goes on.

Song of the day:

I get angry too
Well, I'm a lot like you
When you're standing at the crossroads
and don't know which path to choose
Let me come along
'Cause even if you're wrong...

I'll stand by you
I'll stand by you
Won't let nobody hurt you
I'll stand by you
Take me in, into your darkest hour
and I'll never desert you
I'll stand by you

And when...
When the night falls on you, baby
You're feeling all alone
You won't be on your own

I'll stand by you...

-Pretenders. Dedicated to those having a darkest hour in MN.

Random Picture of Claudia Molina



Today in history:

In 1777, the Congress of the United States ā€” forced to flee in the face of advancing British forces ā€” moved to York, Pa.

In 1791, Mozart's opera "The Magic Flute" premiered in Vienna, Austria. Hey, I've got one of those!

In 1846, dentist William Morton used ether as an anesthetic for the first time on a patient in his Boston office.

In 1905, 100 years ago, British director Michael Powell ("The Red Shoes") was born in Bekesbourne, Kent, England.

In 1938, British, French, German and Italian leaders decided to appease Adolf Hitler by allowing Nazi annexation of Czechoslovakia's Sudetenland.

In 1946, an international military tribunal in Nuremberg, Germany, found 22 top Nazi leaders guilty of war crimes.

In 1949, the Berlin Airlift came to an end. Berlin ultmately proved too heavy to lift, and was told to lose some weight before tehy could try again. Instead, Berlin gorged on struedel. BUt not the music group Berlin.

In 1954, the first atomic-powered vessel, the submarine Nautilus, was commissioned by the Navy.

In 1962, black student James Meredith succeeded on his fourth try in registering for classes at the University of Mississippi.

In 1955, actor James Dean, 24, was killed in a two-car collision near Cholame, Calif.


In 1993, an estimated 10,000 people were killed when an earthquake measuring a magnitude of 6.4 struck southern India.

Today's birthdays:
Actress Deborah Kerr is 84.

She's the one on the top, here...

Actress Angie Dickinson is 74.


Actress Monica Bellucci is 37.

UH...I have no idea what this is suggesting. Really.


I am fairly sure what this is suggesting though. Really.


Actress Jenna Elfman is 34.

Sure she's crazy. BUt her feet are currently going in different directions...the work is already half done. I'm just saying.

Tennis player Martina Hingis is 25.

Note the cap...and she's only 25. Why the hell does POrtland NOT have a ladies tennis competition?!

Olympic gold medal gymnast Dominique Moceanu is 24.

Given the choice between gymnast or tennis player, which way do you go? I suppose it's not much of a choice...it's the gymnast just about every time. Forget I even asked the question.

Actress Lacey Chabert is 23.



Shakespeare quote of the day:
"I am not of that feather, to shake off my friend when he must need me"
Tim of Ath, Act i, Sc.1

Word of the Day:
capacious \kuh-PAY-shuhs\, adjective:
Able to contain much; roomy; spacious.

For example, your writer's pants need to be capacious in the basket area for him to be comfortable. (Because really tight blue jeans are harder to stuff with sock rolls.)

Note to Tori Alamaze:

Yes, I DO wish my girlfriend was hot like you.
Yes, I even wish she was a freak like you.
Maybe even raw like you.
And quite possibly that she was fun like you.

But here's where I need to correct you...

I don't HAVE a girlfriend right now. So if you wanna fill the void, I can return the favor and fill yours.

And don't pretend to go get all indignant or shocked that I'd say such a thing, because I've got Sophie Hawkins over here swearing in frustration at wanting to be my lover. So it's not like I don't have a little bit of demand for my own product, if you know what I mean.



Bailey's Birthday:

So for Bailey's birthday, I couldn't afford to do much. So we headed down to a park locally, and spent the day together, just her and I. We had a picnic and then walked along the river, just her and I. We played and talked, and I don't know that I remember a time when I enjoyed those simpler pleasures more.

Later, we went and got her sisters, and then came home to make her a cake. But not just any cake...she wanted a pink cake. So we added some food dye to her vegan vanilla cake, and baked it up, and applied some pink frosting to it, and had more pink than....well, there was just a lot of pink, ok?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It's a little girl cake. For a pretty little girl.

3 years old is a great age, because their personality is starting to take hold, and you can start to see the type of person that they will be. The basic building blocks are starting to settle in, giving the rest of her personality a place to perch. And from waht I have seen, she is a girl of fragile confidence (so far), but with a stern independence, and a great goofiness that brings a smile to my face every day.
She has her mother's beauty, and my....well, I don't know. My eyebrow, I suppose.

3 years old. Man, what a ride those 3 years have been.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Eastside representin', yo.

It's also worth noting that she reminds me in ways of others never far from memory.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This is Ryan Swanson. Some of you have known me to write about him before. I knew him for only a short time, but it didn't take much time for me to learn how brilliant of a mind he had. Let me put it this way...Ryan was the type of guy who made me feel like a complete fraud; that as smart as I was, I was only pretending compared to his level of intelligence. He was the genuine article. And a prince of a guy, as well. Considerate, well-mannered, articulate, literate, eloquent...the true paragon of animals.

Ryan had developed a tradition, shall we say, of flashing crypic hand signs to our friend, Elissa. It just fit into his sense of humor perfectly.

At his funeral, his sisters talked about what a great brother he was, and what he had meant to them. It was precious to see another side of this person that I greatly respected, and didn't have an oppurtunity to know better. And though our time shared was short, he impacted my life profoundly. He made me appreciate even more what I had, because he wouldn't get the chance to have children.

There are times I wish I could talk to his parents...let them know how I felt, and how much I miss him. Let them know that he hasn't been forgotten. To let them know how wonderful a person he was to those whom he had only briefly touched with his life. I suspect they know, though. I don't think they know of me or this site. Not knowing how they would handle some of the content here, I don't know how they would feel with my association with him. But I have no regrets about my wish and desire to call him a friend...and to dearly wish he was around even now.

Ryan worked with me in an office back in MN. That office was SUPPOSED to stay open until today, but I have recieved word that they closed it down a day early. There are so many people I worked with there that are now searching for employment elsewhere...and if you are one of them, I hope that you would honor us with a report of where you are at, what you are doing, and what you plan on doing...let us know how you're doing, and what we can do to help. So many people came and went in that department...Lawrence passed away from cancer shortly before we lost Ryan. Others left at the company's uh, request. Ty. Peter. Evan D. A very very good friend in Dan F. and Kurt.

And then there are those who stayed on until the end. Larry. Don R. (Making love to you was never 2nd best.)(No, not really.) Michelle. Kenny and Dennis...

There are times when you watch people make decisions that you know will hurt themselves, but you are powerless to stop them. All you can do is shake your head, and brace for the impending destruction. I think I may have written that before, but it's true. certainly here. The people above are the victims of someone else's murder-suicide business decision. And then there are others who are left to try to keep a pulse in the rapidly fading patient, like our own E, and Russ. (Incedentally, both update readers...send them your prayers during the difficult transition.)(OH, and Russ? If you have been paying any attention, I have been pith-poor at picking football games...of COURSE the Broncos won on Monday.I picked against them. )

YOu haven't been forgotten friends. You are still thought of, and prayed for.

A toast to all of you. And another for dear departed friends.


Anna's birthday:

If you leap awake
In the mirror of a bad dream
And for a fraction of a second
You can't remember where you are
Just open your window
And follow your memory upstream
To the meadow in the mountain
Where we counted every falling star

I believe the light that shines on you
Will shine on you forever
And though I cant guarantee
There's nothing scary hiding under your bed
Iā€™m gonna stand guard
Like a postcard of a Golden Retriever
And never leave till I leave you
With a sweet dream in your head

I'm gonna watch you shine
Gonna watch you grow
Gonna paint a sign
So youll always know
As long as one and one is two
There could never be a father
Who loves his daughter more than I love you

Trust your intuition
It's just like going fishing
You cast your line
And hope you get a bite
But you don't need to waste your time
Worrying about the market place
Try to help the human race
Struggling to survive it's harshest night

I'm gonna watch you shine
Gonna watch you grow
Gonna paint a sign
So you'll always know
As long as one and one is two
There could never be a father
Who loves his daughter more than I love you

I'm gonna watch you shine
Gonna watch you grow
Gonna paint a sign
So you'll always know
As long as one and one is two
There could never be a father
Who loves his daughter more than I love you


Portland Radio scene review:

Ok, I have been in this area for roughly a little over a month now. IN that amount of time, I have searched for a radio station worth listening to. Now, to be fair, I have always been a bit of a channel changer. I flip until I find a song that I like, and will stay with that station until some song offends my ears. But even by those standards, Portland radio tastes like as-terisk.

There are 2-3 country stations, 30,000 Christian rock stations, a couple of hip-hop stations....and that's about it. there's NPR, which is fine for more mellow moods, but the rest of it is hit and miss for quality music. And I don't kow if this is an issue anywhere else, but can we please play a song other than farking "Listen to your heart"?! Don't tell me you haven't heard this song. It was originally a Roxette song, and it's not like this new DHT version is a major improvement.

Bonus song of the day:

Sometimes you wonder if this fight is worthwhile.
The precious moments are all lost in the tide, yea.
They're swept away and nothing is what is seems,
the feeling of belonging to your dreams.

Listen to your heart
when he's calling for you.
Listen to your heart
there's nothing else you can do.
I don't know where you're going
and I don't know why,
but listen to your heart
before you tell him goodbye.

And there are voices
that want to be heard.
So much to mention
but you can't find the words.
The scent of magic,
the beauty that's been
when love was wilder than the wind.

Listen to your heart
when he's calling for you.
Listen to your heart
there's nothing else you can do.
I don't know where you're going
and I don't know why,
but listen to your heart
before you tell him goodbye.


SPORTS SECTION

NFL preview, Week 4:

Buffalo at New Orleans
(San Antonio, TX) 1:00 p.m.

JP Losman is still their QB. Nuff said.

Winner: New Orleans Saints, in their first "home game".

Denver at Jacksonville 1:00 p.m.

Despite last monday night, I still don't believe in Denver. Especially on the road. Especially against a decent team like the Jags.

Winner: Jacksonville Jaguars


Detroit at Tampa Bay 1:00 p.m.

Well, the trendy pick is Tampa Bay. Works for me.

Winner: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Houston at Cincinnati 1:00 p.m.

Houston used to be on the rise, but not any longer. They've regressed. The Benals are on a tear, so...

Winner: Cincinnati Bengals

Indianapolis at Tennessee 1:00 p.m.

This used to be a great matchup, but now, the titans don't have enough to be really competitive.

Winner: Indianapolis Colts
San Diego at New England 1:00 p.m.

San Diego is a good solid team, but it's the Patriots, so no sense going against them.

Winner: New England Patriots

Seattle at Washington 1:00 p.m.

When Seattle wins, it's because the other team is struggling. The Seahwaks themselves aren't in synch themselves. The Washington offense isn't perfect, but it'll be enough to beat teh Seahawks.

Winner: Washington.

St. Louis at N.Y. Giants 1:00 p.m.

This game used to be an annual game that you looked forward to. It seems as though all of hte old fmailiar faces that made the Rams the highest scoring offense have all withered to almost nothing. I'll take the Giants at home, for no other reason.

Winner: New York Giants

N.Y. Jets at Baltimore 4:05 p.m.

The Jets signed colorblind Vinny Testeverde. Again. This guy was playing back in 1990. I don't know what Baltimore has anymore, but it'll be enough to be the Jets.

Winner: Baltimore Ravens

Dallas at Oakland 4:15 p.m.

I would LOOOOVE to see Randy Moss' new team go almost winless. (I want Chicago to have the 1st pick next year to get the newest franchise QB Matt Leinert, instead of the almost destined possibility that he becomse a Raider with a downfield threat like Moss and Porter waiting for him in the NFL. For the Bears sake, Leinert needs to be a Bear.) Dallas Wins this game.

Winner: Dallas Cowboys

Minnesota at Atlanta 4:15 p.m.

The Vikings beating up on an exhausted Saints doesn't prove to me that their problems are fixed. Mike Vick may still be injured, but he'll be enough for the Vikings to find a way tolose. I'll say the Falcons by a field goal in OT. Because there is history there.

Winner: Atlanta Falcons


Philadelphia at Kansas City 4:15 p.m.

Possibly the best game on the docket. I'm torn, because I'd like to take the upset and say that KC bounces back after that bad monday nihgt loss. But without Willie Roaf and a better offensive line for the Chiefs, I gotta go with Don Henley and the other stiffs.

Winner: Philadelphia Eagles

San Francisco at Arizona
(Mexico City) 8:30 p.m.

So I got this piece of spam mail the other day. It was offering me financial help. But the subject title read "Matt service available."

Oh, you have NO idea.

So let me get this straight. We want to promote the game to the Mexicans, so we send them the 49ers and the Cardinals? Ugh.

Winner: Arizona Cardinals. loser? The mexican people. They're a blighted community already, for pete's sake! Well, Pedro's sake, then.

Monday, Oct. 3 Green Bay at Carolina 9:00 p.m.

The demise of the green Bay Packers. Oh, how I hope it unfolds as it has in my mind.

Winner: Carolina Panthers

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?