<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, October 28, 2004

"It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it.
And I feel fine."




The Red Sox have won the World Series. What in the hell? This is the end times. Which, I suppose, is appropriate with the National Election next week, and all.

The path to a World Championship for them was quite an up and down roller coaster experience. They shot up and through the Anaheim Angels in the first round of the playoffs, and then underwent a name change prior to facing the New York Yankees. The Boston Red Sox then became the Boston "Anybody but the Yankees", much like the Minnesota Twins before them had been the Minnesota chapter of "Anybody but the Yankees". After dropping the first 3 games, the Red Sox stormed back to defeat the Yankees in 7 games, and then kept up the momentum, which carried them through the St. Louis Cardinals in 4 straight games.

So now, without the burden of "The Curse of the Bambino", they're just another team to the rest of the world. for a long time, they were defined by non-Red Sox fans as the team that oculdn't win it. Well, them and the Cubs, I guess. For Sox fans, though, I am sure it doesn't matter. For the rest of us, they've lost their identity.


Aren't we all Red Sox fans right now?


Song Quote of the Day:
Vindicated
I am selfish
I am wrong
I am right
I swear I'm right
Swear I knew it all along
And I am flawed
But I am cleaning up so well
I am seeing in me now the things you swore you saw yourself


Today in History:
In 1636, Harvard College was founded in Massachusetts.

In 1793, Eli Whitney applied for a patent for his cotton gin (the patent was granted the following March). One year later, a patent was denied for a Cotton tonic. Ok, so now I am trying to hard.

In 1919, Congress enacted the Volstead Act, which provided for enforcement of Prohibition, over President Wilson's veto. No more Cotton gin and Tonic. Revolt!

In 1922, fascism came to Italy as Benito Mussolini took control of the government. Revolt! No more Italian wine!

In 1936, President Franklin D. Roosevelt rededicated the Statue of Liberty on its 50th anniversary.

In 1940, Italy invaded Greece during World War II.

In 1958, the Roman Catholic patriarch of Venice, Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli, was elected Pope; he took the name John XXIII. (Brutus was already taken.)

In 1962, Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev informed the United States that he had ordered the dismantling of Soviet missile bases in Cuba.

In 1965, Pope Paul VI issued a decree absolving Jews of collective guilt for the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. (i'm sure his heart was in the right place, but at the same time...I hardly think the Jews of the time were feeling guilt ridden about the entire incedent. "Oy! What a relief! I feel so much better about my lot in life!" )


Today's Birthdays:

Joquain Phoenix-30


This is the guy that I am most compared to. Just...uglier. So ugly up Mr Phoenix a bit, and you have me, I guess. But it's not all that bad. I could be an "ugly" version of Steve Buscemi.



that's all for today. I'm sorry abotu the lousy postings lately. SO many things going on.

I did a Beck Inventory test. The results are a bit...well, we'll say no more for now. If you don't know what it is, then...heck, that is what Google is for.

Hope to write more soom. Talk to you later.







Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?