<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, November 01, 2004

Song of the Day:

Please come now I think I'm falling
I'm holding to all I think is safe
It seems I found the road to nowhere
And I'm trying to escape
I yelled back when I heard thunder
But I'm down to one last breath
And with it let me say
Let me say

Hold me now
I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking
That maybe six feet
Ain't so far down


Today in History:

In 1512, Michelangelo's paintings on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel were first exhibited to the public.



In 1604, 400 years ago, William Shakespeare's tragedy "Othello" was first presented at Whitehall Palace in London.

Othello is a story of a man who has everything, and has it taken away from him by the suspicion (planted by the fiendish Iago) that his wife carried on an adulterous affair with Cassio, a fellow soldier and friend.

"Iago. O! beware, my lord, of jealousy;
It is the green-ey'd monster which doth mock
The meat it feeds on; that cuckold lives in bliss
Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger;
But, O! what damned minutes tells he o'er
Who dotes, yet doubts; suspects, yet soundly
loves! "
Act III, Sc. III

In 1765, the Stamp Act went into effect, prompting stiff resistance from American colonists. This of course, led to the Boston Tea Party, which led to the American Revolution, etc., etc, etc...

In 1861, General George B. McClellan was made General-in-Chief of the Union armies.

In 1870, the United States Weather Bureau made its first meteorological observations.

In 1944, "Harvey," a comedy by Mary Chase about a man and his friend, an invisible 6-foot-tall rabbit, opened on Broadway. Because, you know, mental illness is always funny.

In 1950, two Puerto Rican nationalists tried to force their way into Blair House in Washington to assassinate President Truman. The attempt failed, and one of the pair was killed.


More than likely, the Puerto ricans did not look like this. The Daily Update: Making History sexier!

In 1952, the United States exploded the first hydrogen bomb at Eniwetok in the Marshall Islands.

In 1999, The greatest running bak of all-time, Walter Payton, passed away from bile duct cancer at age 45. Some people (Ok, me) would say that Walter was simply drafted by God to play in the greatest of all football games for all time.




Today's Birthdays:

Magazine publisher Larry Flynt is 62. WHat magazine does he publish?


I only know this because of what Pat Robertson tells me. Really.

(Ok, not really.)
R&B musician Khalis Bayyan (aka Ronald Bell) (Kool and the Gang) is 53. Celebrate good times, come on!

Country singer and ugly-man-who-married-Julia-Roberts Lyle Lovett is 47.


Rock singer Anthony Kiedis (Red Hot Chili Peppers) is 42.

Californication, indeed.

Pop singer-musician Mags Furuholmen (A-Ha) is 42. (Take on me. Take me on. )

Rock musician Rick Allen (Def Leppard) is 41. (Pour some sugar on me. )



Country singer "Big Kenny" Alphin (Big and Rich) is 41. (Save a horse, Ride a cowboy)

Don't look for cowboy pictures at work...

Singer Sophie B. Hawkins is 37.


Actress Jenny McCarthy is 32.


Shakesperian Quote of the day:
"The Moor is of a free and open nature,
That thinks men honest that but seem to be so,
And will as tenderly be led by the nose
As asses are.
I have't; it is engender'd: hell and night
Must bring this monstrous birth to the world's
light."

Iago-Othello Act I Scene III

Election Time

I am not a political man. However, I'm no different than any other person out there,a nd have my own opinions as to who should be the next president.

And lemme tell ya, it ain't either of the candidates offered. I cannot vote for Bush when those around me have been unemployed for for close to a year now, and the possibility of me finding a job outside of the one I have now are dim. THe job market is horrible. I understand the impact of Sept. 11th on the economy, and I understand he has done what he can. BUt as it is, I cannot see it gettting better with him leading the charge. As for Kerry....the best way that I can describe my feelings is that he doesn't have that Presidential charisma. He doesn't imspire confidence to get the job done.

My vote? None of the above. Put a gun to my head, and I'd go Kerry, but remember...there's a gun to my head.

More later. damn, I wish I had more time to write. Well, I wish I was being paid to write this thing.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?