<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Song quote of the day:
Out my window, I see lights going dark
Your dark eyes don't haunt me
And then I wonder who I am
Without the warm touch of your hand

And then I wonder who I am
Without the warm touch of your hand

As I sit and watch the snow fallin' down
I don't miss you at all
I don't miss you at all
I don't miss you at all


Today in History:

On this date:

In 1821, Napoleon Bonaparte died in exile on the island of St. Helena.

Hmmm...your punishment is to live on this beautiful island for the rest of your life.

There are worse punishments.



In 1862, Mexican forces loyal to Benito Juarez defeated French troops sent by Napoleon III in the Battle of Puebla.

THIS IS THE REASON FOR Cinco de Mayo. So now you know why everyone gets drunk today. Benito Juarez and pals beat back Napoleon and his troops, but only temporarily, as France would send an overwhelming amunt of troops later to occupy Mexico. Eventually they gave up, and Mexico was finally free. So now you can win that bar bet if someone asks you the reason for said quasi-holiday. And I now have a right to 20% of any winnings of your bar bets.

In 1925, John T. Scopes was arrested in Tennessee for teaching Darwin's theory of evolution.


Because God forbid that the Almighty might have used a scientific approach to creating man. (rolls eyes.) If he is the all-knowing, all-seeing being, wouldn' it make sense that he would know just a little bit about this? Creationists have this idea that accepting the theory of evolution is accepting that God doesn't exist. It does nothing of the sort, of course. It proves that God used evolution as a means to create man. The "B.C." comic strip made reference to this in Sunday's paper. It's almost enough to make me skip reading that comic altogether.


In 1942, during World War II, Japanese forces landed on the Philippine island of Corregidor.

In 1945, in the only fatal attack of its kind during World War II, a Japanese balloon bomb exploded on Gearhart Mountain in Oregon, killing the pregnant wife of a minister and five children.

In 1955, West Germany became a sovereign state.

In 1955, the baseball musical "Damn Yankees" opened on Broadway. The Yankees finished the season that year in 1st place in the American League at 96-58, but lost 4 games to 3 against the Brooklyn Dodgers in the World Series. I'll let you decide for yourself if they were damned or not.

Either way, I'm dancing on their grave this year. It's a long season, but when they lose almost nightly like they are, and their old brokn down pitchers can't stay healty or are no longer effective, it's a wonderful sight to me. Especially when the losses are so danged expensive, what with a $200+ million payroll and all.

In 1961, astronaut Alan B. Shepard Jr. became America's first space traveler as he made a 15-minute sub-orbital flight in a capsule launched from Cape Canaveral, Fla.


In 1980, a siege at the Iranian embassy in London by armed men demanding the release of political prisoners in Iran ended as British commandos and police stormed the building. Nineteen hostages were rescued; two others had already been killed by their captors; four of the five hostage-takers also were killed.

In 1981, Irish Republican Army hunger-striker Bobby Sands died at the Maze Prison in Northern Ireland in his 66th day without food.

In 1985, President Reagan kept a promise to West German Chancellor Helmut Kohl by leading a wreath-laying ceremony at the military cemetery in Bitburg. Hoever, he failed to uphold his promise to share any jelly beans. He was sent to bed without supper.

In 2004, Picasso's 1905 painting "Boy with a Pipe" sold for $104 million at Sotheby's in New York, breaking the record for an auctioned painting.



It looks like Mcauley Caulkin, but whatever. I've never been a big Picasso guy, but it's better than some of his works. I'd hang it on the south side of the mansion, were I to purchase it. In the maroon study. Just between the bookcases. I'd ahve to take doown the Matisse, but you have to make sacrifices sometimes.

Today's Birthdays:
Actor Lance Henriksen is 65.


Comedian-actor Michael Palin is 62.


Actor John Rhys-Davies is 61.


Actress Tina Yothers is 32.
Time hasn't been kind to this Family Ties star. INstead I give you Marissa Miller.


Actress (and Daily Update favorite) Danielle Fishel is 24.



Rock singer Skye Sweetnam is 17.

Noooo touchy. Noooo feely. And looky is kind of suspect, too.

Word of the Day:

magniloquent \mag-NIL-uh-kwent\, adjective:
Lofty or grandiose in speech or expression; using a high-flown style of discourse; bombastic.

Shakesperian Quote of the Day:

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so". -Hamlet (Act II, Scene II).


I have no title for this:

So a co-worker of mine in Michigan wants to send some affection my way (strictly platonic, I am sure) in the form of a hug. It's a great jesture, and I love he for it. But the sincerity and the message behind it got lost when she sent a dirty Frenchman to deliver it for her. What sort of message is that? "I love you; here's a disease covered lecher to show you how much." I don't even have a good analogy to properly explain the conundrum presented to me.

I know that the co-worker in Michigan only had the best of intentions, and I know how much she cares for me. But the message would be easier recieved if it were to be placed ina vessel more appealing...say...


Yamila Diaz-Rahi.

But I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

A "Pleasure Mariage"?!

A co-worker sent me this story from USA Today describing temporary marriages throughoutthe middle east that give some sort of governmental thumbs up on prostitution, adultery, bigamy, etc.

I'm not going ot comment on prostitution, but the idea that a husband can be temporarily married to a differnt girl, and can justify it by saying "Well, the government says it's OK" is just stupid. H knows it's wrong, because he admits he's not going to tell his wife about it. Just because the government says you can, doesn't mean you should.

Even if the guy is single, it's no better than the blistering tirade I ahd against Britney spears getting married to her childhood boyfriend a few years ago strictly to hook up in Las Vegas, and then had themarriage annulled. Marriage isn't a contract for just sex. There's more to it than that, and to treat it like this is so out of whack, I cna't put words to it.

It's disposable marraiages, as far as I can see. The ring you wear for this one is the condom. And what a perfect analogy, because you throw both away when you are done.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?